Monday, June 6, 2011

You expect me to eat this?

The time has come for Jenna to begin to eat real food (or so we thought). She has been acting interested the last few weeks...watching us intently as we eat, opening her mouth when I put food into mine and lunging towards food when it comes near. So last week we decided to introduce rice cereal. 
 We really thought she would be eager to try it, but it did not go as planned. As soon as the spoon entered her mouth and the first drop of food landed on her tongue she gave me the "are you kidding me look?" which then turned into tears.
I tried again the next day in hopes of success. She liked the taste a little more, but just as the camera came out the tears welled up again. One of the many parenting books I have (thanks Papa) says to go ahead and stop feeding her solid food for a few days and then start again.
Picture captured right before the melt down
Over the weekend I was eating corn on the cob at my parents house and Jenna once again was lunging towards my corn and it was suggested for me to let her put into her mouth. I think she thought it was a toy with some flavor.

This put a thought into my head that maybe she is ready for more flavorful solid foods, rather than that bland rice cereal (I tried it and I too would be crying). So today she tried rice cereal mixed with some carrots. There was a worried look at one point but no tears and I even got a smile!
 Maybe we are on to something and food isn't so bad after all.

1 comment:

  1. We had the same experience with Maggie. She was NOT into the rice cereal, but loved carrots and sweet potatoes! Jenna is adorable!

    ReplyDelete