Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Ethan Jeffrey

It has taken me a month to write, but here it is :)

We have become a family of 4 with the arrival of Ethan on 4/25/13 at 6:03am. He weighed 7lb 14oz and was 20 1/4 inches long. The birth story begins on Saturday evening 4/20 when I started not feeling well and having lots of frequent contractions. Later in the evening we decided to have our moms come down just in case it was time. They arrived in the middle of the night and my contractions were still every 10 minutes or so. 
Sunday (4/21): In the morning we decided to head into Labor and Delivery. Of course after I got there things slowed down and they sent us home.
First time at hospital
Monday (4/22): the Moms, Jenna and I went on a long walk in hopes things would start up again and they didn't. 
Tuesday (4/23): was the day I was hoping to have him so that he and Jenna would both be born on the 23rd. I wasn't feeling well and was so thankful that our moms were here because they were able to entertain Jenna as I was trying to relax.

Wednesday (4/24): My doctor appointment was at 10:00am. I decided to put some more things in my bag just in case and leave it at home thinking it was a routine doctor visit. I asked my mom to go with me and Myrene stayed home with Jenna. My doctor was gone so I saw her partner. I was not excited about this because I didn't know her and I had told my doctor that I would probably have the baby when she was gone (guess I was right). The new doctor was very nice and made me feel comfortable right away...I am sure my doctor put in my chart that I like things a certain way :) She did a routine bedside ultrasound to check the heart rate and check the fluid levels. She noticed that the fluid looked a little low so she sent me to get a regular ultrasound. This made me a little nervous. Every thing had been so routine this pregnancy so I wasn't prepared for anything abnormal. I waited an hour and Jeff was able to come to the ultrasound. They checked the fluid and sure enough it was a little low. The baby looked great and they predicted an 8lb baby! The doctor decided to send me to L&D to get monitored and possibly induced. She said that if the baby was distress then they would do an emergency c-section (not what I wanted), but if the baby seemed to be fine then we would go ahead and induce. We headed over to L&D and I got hooked up to the monitors. The baby looked great. The OB resident came to see me (at OHSU resident doctors care for you and they are supervised by their attending...your doctor only sees you if they are on call and working; therefore you have a doctor you have never met). The resident advised me that it was go time and they would be checking me in and starting the induction. Here I was AGAIN being induced. Not really what I wanted this time but it was most important to have a healthy baby (side note: I was contracting on my own so I am sure this little guy would have come in the next day or so anyways). 

Many HOURS later I finally got a room and got the drugs started. Jenna came to visit me. I had been so worried that I wouldn't be able to see her. Jeff was able to take her home and put her to bed. Uncle Alan and Aunt Alona were so great and were able to stay the night at our house, so my mom and Myrene could be with us at the hospital. Things started to get rolling and around midnight I think contractions were getting stronger. I decided to see how long I could go without the epidural this time. Jeff reminded me that I needed to be able to sit still and that I shouldn't wait too long. It wasn't horrible pain but I was getting very uncomfortable. So at 4-5cm I got the epidural. It was AMAZING. An hour or so later the doctor broke my water...another AMAZING feeling. I felt so at peace and very emotional. I was able to rest for a bit. Then my hips started to hurt. I knew we must be getting close because this happened with Jenna as well. They gave me some more drugs and it seemed to help. 


Next thing I know it was around 5:00am and I was fully dilated. I asked the doctor and the nurse to give me 15 minutes to gather my thoughts and get ready. I was feeling so at peace but I wanted to try and remember this moment (in case it's my last) and make sure and tell Jeff how much I love him and how happy I was to be having another baby. It was one of my favorite moments. I had decided that both of our moms could stay in the room with us if they wanted. My mom was there with Jenna and Myrene was out of town. I wanted Myrene to be able to experience it with us and see one of her grandchildren be born. It was really special having both of them there and be supportive. 

This time the doctor (OB resident), medical student and my nurse were there for the pushing. With Jenna it was just the nurse (who was amazing) there helping me with the pushing until she came out. It was really nice to have so many supportive people around. I was worried that my experience wouldn't be as good as it was with Jenna, but it was.

At 6:03am, Ethan was here! He was crying and perfectly healthy. He opened his little eyes and looked right at me. It was amazing and a moment that I will cherish forever. I'm so grateful for Jeff, my mom, and Myrene. I couldn't have done it without them! 
 Here we are a month later and we are all doing great! He is a great baby and very mellow. Only cries when he needs to eat or be changed. Reminds us of his sister in many ways. I was worried about taking care of a newborn and toddler but so far so good. We are managing and practicing patience :) He is a great eater and seems to be filling out. He just started to wear 3 month size clothes. He has a sweet personality and loves to be snuggled. I am cherishing every moment with him. Watching Jenna be a big sister is so neat. At first she didn't pay much attention to him and still doesn't on occasion, but she is a great helper and likes to hold him (only on her terms). 

I am truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment